2023 in Review: So here we are – the final episode of the How I Do Content Podcast in 2023.
I wasn’t sure what I was going to share with you, because if I’m completely honest 2023 has been the year that nearly broke me. I sat here 12 months ago and shared with you that 2022 had been my most challenging year in business to date…
So, sitting here now it feels like 2023 said “Hold my beer”…
I’ve debated exactly what I’d tell you about this year, because it would be so easy for me to pretend like everything is perfect and tell you how I’ve “killed it” all year. But if you’re a long-time listener of this podcast, if you’ve followed me on Instagram for a while or if you’ve worked with me in some capacity you know I value honesty and transparency.
I’m never going to sugarcoat shit or feed you a story just to make myself feel better. Of course I’m not going to share every single detail with you because:
- We might be here for a while
- It’s not actually helpful and supportive to you or me
As always I want you to take away something that’s relevant and relatable to you and your business. So, in today’s episode, I share my 2023 in review – my biggest lessons from 2023, what I’m most proud of and a glimpse into my 2024 vision.
2023 was my Leader Era
This was my chosen “word of the year” and as I reflect on this year I can say I was 100% called on to be a leader this year – just maybe in a different way than I expected. Which is always the way isn’t it?
While yes there was a big element of being a leader for my clients, my community and in the online space – in 2023 I needed to lead myself the most. This year I really struggled with my mental health. I’ve lived with anxiety and depression since I was 17 – most of the time I’m fine and it’s manageable, but this year was really challenging for me.
I shared this with a client recently and she said “I never would’ve known.” And this was a reminder that you never really know what’s going on behind the scenes in someone’s life.
I don’t share this with you for sympathy and as I mentioned. I was debating whether or not to include this at all. But I know the power of my voice, of sharing my story, and of connecting with other people through shared experience. And there might be someone tuning in who needed to hear this today.
Leaning into more support
This is something I’ll always have to navigate but please know – I’m OK. I’m well-resourced and well-supported. I’m a very independent and self-sufficient person, but this year I really had to allow myself to be supported. I’m so grateful for those in my life who really stood behind me this year – you know who you are.
If you’re in a vulnerable space right now please know that you’re not alone. Reach out for help if needed. My inbox is always open.
My biggest lessons from 2023
Lesson one: it’s okay to ask for help.
Being a very independent and self-sufficient person means I often try and manage everything myself. I don’t want to be a burden to others so I keep everything to myself.
This is a story I have as a result of a significant friendship break-up when I was a teenager. It’s something I’ve had to work on for years, especially since starting my business – both asking for help and receiving help.
This year I could’ve kept my struggles to myself so as not to burden others but I’m proud of myself that I didn’t.
In business you don’t have to do it alone – whether that means working with a business coach, hiring team support or seeking out your biz besties when you’re struggling. It also means being honest with yourself when you actually need help.
Lesson two: one simple messaging tweak can change EVERYTHING
In Episode 130, I shared how I made some tweaks to the messaging for my 1:1 Biz Wizard Series and it changed the game for myself and my business. This offer became my easiest offer to sell despite it also being my most premium offer in terms of price point.
And since June, the revenue for my 1:1 Biz Wizard series has increased 455% – which nearly made me fall off my chair when I did the calculations.
I think we’ve definitely witnessed the importance of magical messaging even more this year simply because people are buying differently. The onus is on business owners to position their offers in a way that makes them super desirable for their ideal client and customer.
I predict this will continue into 2024, so if you don’t know how to master your messaging – you’ll find it hard to create marketing that stands out and supports your ideal clients and customers to choose you.
The businesses that focus on their messaging first and foremost are the people who will take their business to the next level in 2024. Stay tuned in 2024 as I’ll be launching a messaging-specific program which is going to be magical AF!
Lesson three: the power of focusing on the long-game
In an online space where everyone wants their business to quantum leap to 7 figures overnight… It’s important to remember that building a successful and sustainable business doesn’t happen overnight.
People who continue to chase “overnight” success and quantum leaps are those who often crash and burn the hardest (and fastest). In 2023, this short-term focus claimed quite a few casualties! The people who were in it to make a quick dollar – got going pretty quickly when time got tough.
The businesses that continued to make consistent sales in 2023 were those that consistently prioritised long-term business and marketing strategies.
I definitely saw the impact of my cumulative efforts from the past 5 years. I’m not here to chase passing trends or overnight success – I focus on the things that actually grow my business year after year. And in doing so each and every year my revenue and profit have increased – yep, 5 years in a row!
There are no silver-bullet solutions in business
Even in tough economic conditions, I’ve made more money than last year – not because I have a secret spell that only I know, but because, over the past 5 years, I’ve built solid AF foundations. I consistently put in the work to master my messaging, marketing, sales, processes and client experience.
Stop trying to look for a secret hack or a way to shortcut the system because it doesn’t exist.
Focus on the things that actually generate the results you want. And I’ll give you the hot tip – they’re not quick fixes.
My favourite moments from 2023
From a personal perspective – even though 2023 was tough for me, there were also some pretty amazing things that happened this year.
Favourite personal moments:
- Seeing Harry Styles in concert at the start of the year. He was incredible (the weather was not)
- 2023 was the year of incredible women sharing their magic with the world – I loved the Barbie movie, Taylor Swift & Beyonce keeping the entire music industry afloat and my personal favourite the Australian Women’s Football Team the Matilda’s and their historic campaign at the FIFA World Cup. It was the mid-year serotonin boost I needed!
- I spent a magical month living and working in Melbourne. I was called on to house- and cat-sit for my sister and her husband while they were in Europe. I love Melbourne and it was so good to live like a local for a month. Moving to Melbourne is definitely something I’m considering – you heard it here first!
- 2023 was also the year I got my puppy Magic (or Maggie). I’m constantly thinking about Ned’s age and I finally decided it was time to expand the Social Bolt family. At the time of recording this episode she’s been with me for a week, and fuck me – being a puppy Mum is no joke. Lucky she’s cute!
Best moments in business:
- I ran my first in-person event “Messaging Worth Thousands” with some of my favourite humans in the room with me. I really loved it and the opportunity to teach my framework “The Bolt 3D Framework” for the first time. It’s something I think I’ll definitely bring back in 2024.
- Launching the Money-Making Marketing Kickstarter for the first time and having my most easeful and fun 5-figure launch. I had so much fun launching and running this program so it’s not surprising I’m bringing it with me into 2024. The next round officially kicks off at the start of February, but you can sign up now to lock in 2023 pricing and exclusive waitlist-only bonuses. Send me a DM over on Instagram @thesocialbolt and I’ll send you the link.
- Even through tough economic conditions and some personal challenges – my business has continued to grow in 2023. Whilst I didn’t reach my revenue goal, my revenue and profit have increased in 2023. I’m very proud of the business I’ve built.
My 2024 vision
So I’ve already picked my word of the year – I’ve actually picked two…
SPACIOUS & SUPPORTED
2024 will be my spacious and supported era – and I already can’t wait.
Time to reflect on your 2023
I want you to take some time to reflect on your year.
What have been your biggest lessons?
What are you most proud of?
What’s your 2024 vision?
And, no matter how small you think it is, it’s so important that you celebrate the shit out of yourself. Dog knows you deserve it after this year!
And that’s a wrap on the How I Do Content Podcast for 2023!
THANK YOU so much for being here. Whether it’s your first episode or your 132nd episode – I’m so grateful for you.
A big shout out to my podcast editor Pablo who works his magic each week. 132 episodes and another season done! Ned, Magic & I will be back next year with new episodes and new guests. I already can’t wait.
If there’s a topic or guest you want me to share on the podcast next year – please send me a DM over on Instagram @thesocialbolt and let me know!