Welcome back to a new year! I hope you’re feeling rested, refreshed and ready to create incredible magic in your business this year.
There’s something magical about the start of a new year and all the possibilities and opportunities that will unfold in the next 12 months.
To kick off the new year and my first episode back on the pod in 2024, I’m sharing some things you can do to set yourself up for success and business growth in 2024. This info is short, sharp and to the point. Perfect for the first week back in your business in 2024!
If you haven’t already, make sure you also listen to Episode 131 from the end of last year when I take you through my simple and powerful yearly planning process. Pair that episode with today’s episode, and look out 2024!
Reminder: a successful business doesn’t happen overnight
First things, first. I wanted to issue a gentle reminder: you’re not falling behind.
Even if you haven’t:
- Chosen your word of the year
- Set your goals for the year
- Processed 2023 (because, same!)
The year has only just started! Take your time – it’s not a race! Building a sustainable business doesn’t happen overnight. In a world where everyone wants everything right now – be a rebel and go slow.
One of the worst things you can do right now is look at what other people are doing and creating in January and try to emulate that or rush to keep up. As I always say the best business, marketing and launch strategy is one that works for YOU! Not me, not Hermione. YOU!
It’s YOUR business, and you’re the one in control, so don’t get caught up in the new year rush. Ease your way back in slowly and intentionally.
New Year Clean-Up
Bet you thought I was going to start with a plan – tricked you!
If you slammed your laptop shut at the end of last year and said “I’m out! Catch ya later 2023. 2024 me can deal with all this…” Then 2024 you probably hates 2023 you right now. To start the year off with a clean slate I recommend a little new year clean-up.
New Year business reset checklist
- Cleaning out your downloads folder on your computer
- Decluttering your PC desktop (if you’re like me you have a mountain of GIFs on them at any given time
- Review, clear out and organise your email inbox
- Review, clear out and organise Google Drive, Dropbox, Canva – or anywhere you store digital documents
- Set up any content, launch, podcast, or client projects in your project management system
- Check-in with your to-do list from the end of the year and transfer anything over that still needs to be completed
- Update the date on your website footer
I always find this a good way to ease back into things in the year. And who doesn’t love a clean house?!
Review (or set) your 2024 goals
If you did set your goals for 2024 at the end of 2023 – how do they feel now?
Is there anything you want to change, add or remove from your list? A holiday or break will often give you a whole lot of clarity and inspiration so don’t feel like you have to stick to the goals you set last year.
Remember, you’re the one in control of your business!
If you haven’t set your goals for 2024 yet – do them now.
Map out your Q1 plan
If you want to grow your business in 2024 – “winging it” is NOT an option! I guarantee the most successful people in business (i.e. the ones you look up to) aren’t “winging it!”
You need a plan for bringing your goals to life!
At the start of a new year, you’re creating your vision board and you’re setting your goals. You don’t just go through this process and then put them in the bottom drawer never to be thought about until this time next year…
You have big visions + goals for your business in 2024 – that’s great! How are you making them happen?
Without a plan to make them happen and, of course, taking action towards them – what do you really have?
What to include in your Q1 plan
This is your plan for the first 90 days of the year and can include:
- What offer are you selling?
- Will you be doing a “launch” of this offer (or selling it all the time?)
- How warm is your audience? (Ready to buy or need some nurturing?)
- Do you need to focus on growing your audience?
- What are the key messaging pieces you want to focus on over the next 90 days?
- What marketing and content do you want to share in the next 90 days? (Think about all your marketing channels)
Planning might not be your idea of a good time – but if having a plan guarantees business growth in 2024, why wouldn’t you do it?
The type of content to share at the start of the year…
My favourite part of planning for a new year in business! At the start of every year I usually share the same type of content.
Spoiler alert: I usually repurpose the same content from the year before.
My Q1 content includes things like:
- I’m back at work and ready to create magic
- My word for the year and why I chose it
- A reminder to my community about the start of the year (to stop worrying about being already behind – sound familiar)
- The ways in which they can work with me in the first 3 months of the year
- More about my vision for the year
- A selection of podcast episodes to listen to before the podcast returns for the year
- Content related to the specific offer I’m selling. This will depend on how warm my audience is and what stage of launch I’m in.
Feel free to use all of these ideas and adapt them to your business, industry or niche.
January is a great time to set yourself up for the next 90 days of consistent sales with content that sets the scene and invites your community along for the ride. Don’t wait until a week before your first launch of the year to scramble to share some content because you’ve been too busy overthinking what you can share!
Keep things sustainable
Don’t be all talk and no action. Don’t be the person who starts the year with a bang but then fizzles out when things feel hard or don’t go to plan.
If you’re feeling the impending doom of the Dark Lord’s return (aka getting back into the swing of things in the new year) – then it’s a clear AF sign that you need to look at how you’re doing business. It’s time to make some changes and shake shit up! Because you want to feel lit up by your business not like it’s a soul-sucking dementor.
I know there are a whole lot of biz owners in the online space who ended 2023 burnt out to a crisp or feeling like they lost their magic along the way. And despite 2023 being my most challenging year in business, I still feel excited AF by the new year because I absolutely LOVE the business I’ve built.
Nothing changes if nothing changes
Each and every year I’ve continued to make changes and focus on what’s actually important in business. I’ve built on the rock-solid foundations that support me to grow my business year on year.
2024 will look the same as 2023 unless you:
- Make yourself a priority
- Work on your mindset
- Take action even if you’re shitting your pants
- Be brave enough to shake shit up if it’s not working
- Believe in yourself
A lot can change in 12 months. And spoiler alert: it doesn’t all happen in the first few weeks of January. No one becomes successful simply by wishing for things to change – BUT still doing the same shit they’ve always done.
So there you have it – your new year business checklist to set yourself up for success and business growth in 2024.
I hope you’re excited to make 2024 your most magical (and fun) year yet!